HESA Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
The witnesses made statements and answered questions.
It was agreed, — That the debate on Bill C-45, An Act respecting cannabis and to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substance Act, scheduled for today, be held in public.
At 12:36 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 12:39 p.m., the sitting resumed.
On motion of Don Davies, it was agreed, — That a proposed budget in the amount of $18,500.00, for the study of antimicrobial resistance be adopted.
John Oliver moved, — That this Committee meet from Monday, September 11, 2017, to Friday, September 15, 2017, inclusively, for the purpose of the consideration of Bill C-45, An Act respecting cannabis and to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Criminal Code and other Acts; that each party send their prioritized lists of proposed witnesses for the purposes of this study to the Clerk of the Committee by Tuesday, August 1, 2017; and that the Chair be empowered to coordinate the witnesses, to a maximum of 90 witnesses, the resources, and scheduling necessary to complete this task, generally in accordance with the following guidelines:
1. Witnesses are to be organized to speak to the following topics in two or four-hour blocks:
|i.||Federal - Provincial and Territorial responsibilities|
|ii.||Justice and public safety|
|iii.||Other jurisdictions’ experiences|
|iv.||Household cultivation of plants|
|v.||Age for legal possession and impact on young Canadians|
|vi.||Prevention, treatment, and low risk use|
|ix.||Labelling and packaging|
2. That witnesses for each topic be generally proportional to the percentage of seats per recognized political party in the House of Commons.
3. That witnesses be directed to prepare oral remarks for 10 minutes in length, and that the witnesses be invited to submit written statements prior to Monday, September 11, 2017.
4. That the Chair set the deadline for written submissions regarding C-45 to Friday, August 18, 2017.
5. That the Minister of Health, the Minister of Justice, and the Minister of Public Safety be invited to appear before the Committee during the week of September 18, 2017, and that each be allotted ten minutes for oral remarks.
After debate, the question was put on the motion and it was agreed to on the following recorded division:
YEAS: Gary Anandasangaree, Don Davies, Doug Eyolfson, Darshan Singh Kang, John Oliver, Sonia Sidhu — 6;
NAYS: Colin Carrie, Rachael Harder, Len Webber — 3.
On motion of Doug Eyolfson, it was agreed, — That a proposed budget in the amount of $39,900.00, for the study of Bill C-45, An Act respecting cannabis and to amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Criminal Code and other Acts, be adopted.
At 1:42 p.m., the Committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.