Skip to main content
Start of content

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Application Process and Eligibility

Can I apply to the program if I am a second-year, third-year or fourth-year student?

No. The program is intended exclusively for first-year post-secondary students.

Can I apply if I start my first year of post-secondary studies in January?

No. To be eligible, you must be starting full-time or part-time post-secondary studies in September of the year of employment as a page.

If I apply after the deadline, will my application be considered?

No. We must adhere to established deadlines in order to ensure fairness to all candidates.

If I apply by the deadline but my file is incomplete, can I submit the missing material after the deadline?

No. We accept only applications that are completed by the deadline. If you are experiencing delays obtaining your official grade transcripts, please contact

How will I find out if my application was accepted?

An email from will be sent to all candidates to notify them of their status.

Will I be notified if I had an interview but was unsuccessful?

Yes. All candidates who are interviewed will be advised of their status in the month of March.

Are pages required to speak French and English?

Yes. Pages are required to communicate fluently in both official languages in order to communicate with members of Parliament in the language of their choice. Candidates whose applications have been retained after the initial recruitment stage will be invited to undergo a second-language evaluation by telephone.

What is the process for the second-language evaluation?

You will be evaluated in your second official language. The assessment will be conducted over the telephone by officials at the House of Commons Language Training and Assessment Services. Your oral communication skills will be assessed in order to ensure that you can properly and effectively communicate with all MPs in the official language of their choice. You will not be evaluated for writing or reading comprehension.

Do I need to be knowledgeable about politics and the workings of Parliament in order to become a page?

No. The program seeks out individuals who demonstrate an interest in learning about the Canadian parliamentary system. The program will provide training on the work environment, the responsibilities and duties, and what pages need to know in order to provide the high level of service required in the House of Commons. We do nevertheless encourage candidates to familiarize themselves with the House administration and the role of Parliament.

Employment Details

Does the House of Commons page program pay for me to move my personal items to Ottawa?

No. The program pays for your travel to and from Ottawa at the beginning and end of your contract.

What is the duration of the employment?

Pages are employed to work for one year, beginning in late August. Exact dates are confirmed with the selected candidates.

What is the salary of a page?

For information about the page’s salary, please see the Working as a Page section on our website.

Your Studies

I plan on studying in the national capital region only if I am accepted in the page program. Do I need to apply to one of the eligible post-secondary institutions before receiving a confirmation about my acceptance to the program?

Yes. The application deadline for Ontario universities and colleges is typically in January, but please consult the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre or Ontario Colleges for the latest information.

In order to apply to l’Université du Québec en Outaouais, please contact the university directly at

How will being a page affect my course schedule?

Page supervisors will work with you to ensure that you can complete your work hours and your classes by providing you with the tools you need to build a balanced schedule. The program works in conjunction with liaison officers at each of the schools to ensure that you can meet your academic course load requirements.

Can all study programs accommodate the schedule of the House of Commons page program?

No. The requirements of some programs of study may not allow students to satisfy the scheduling requirements of the page program: 15 hours of work per week, with shifts spread over mornings, afternoons, and evenings. Students who wish to pursue programs of study with restrictive course schedules may apply to the page program only if they are prepared to modify the course sequence of their entire program of study or apply to a different program of study for their first year.