RNNR Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
Martin Olszynski, Louis-César Pasquier, Nicholas Rivers, Charles Séguin, Andrew Weaver and Melody Lepine made statements and, with Benjamin Sey, answered questions.
At 4:59 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 5:03 p.m., the sitting resumed in camera.
1. That, for the committee meeting on Wednesday, March 23, 2022, the committee designate the first hour from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. to hear from four witnesses for the study of a greenhouse gas emissions cap for the oil and gas sector; and the second hour from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. to go in camera to review and adopt the draft report for the study of the Emissions Reduction Fund - Onshore Program to be distributed on Tuesday, March 8, 2022.
2. That, the eighth and final meeting with witnesses for the study of a greenhouse gas emissions cap for the oil and gas sector will occur on Wednesday, April 6, 2022, with the Minister of Natural Resources and officials appearing for one hour, and the Minister of Environment and Climate Change and officials appearing for one hour.
3. That, the initial draft report for the study of low-carbon and renewal fuels industry in Canada be translated, formatted and distributed to the committee members for review. This will allow the committee to determine how to proceed with the study.
4. That, in the event that House services are unable to accommodate the visit with the Finnish Embassy on Monday, March 21, 2022, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00. am., the meeting will either be facilitated by the Finnish Embassy and take place off the parliamentary precinct at a location in Ottawa; or the committee will designate one hour of its regularly allotted meeting time on Monday, March 21 to meet with them.
5. That, the committee members establish the willingness for future travel for committee business and conference attendance by discussing with their respective Whips.
It was agreed, — That, pursuant to Standing Order 108(2), the committee devote up to twelve meetings to undertake a study of the conditions required to ensure an effective plan (just transition) for all Canadians in transforming to a low-carbon future, including, but not limited to, an examination of; the definition of the term “just transition”; a preliminary estimate of the impacts of a Paris aligned climate plan on jobs, both direct and indirect; the principles that should guide a “just transition”; concrete, people-centered “just transition” actions that puts workers and communities at the centre of government policy and decision making process on climate change initiatives; the role and mechanisms for the federal government to adequately fund just transition plans across the country; the federal government’s commitment to economic transformation in impacted Indigenous communities; similar historic and social transformations that have occurred both domestically and internationally; and, the current state of the clean tech industry and their role in shaping the anticipated energy transformation; and any other matters deemed necessary by the committee, that experts and stakeholders be invited to appear, including, but not limited to, those that represent organized Labour, Indigenous leadership, municipal representatives from affected regions, and, those with knowledge of the current and future clean tech industry in Canada, and that; that the Minister of Natural Resources and officials, the Minister of Labour and officials, be invited to appear; and that the committee report its findings to the House prior to June 17, 2022.
It was agreed, — That the committee do now adjourn.
At 5:51 p.m., the committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.