FINA Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
Pierre Poilievre moved, — That the committee, pursuant to standing order 108, undertake a study of inflation in the current Canadian economy including (i) housing inflation; (ii) food inflation; (iii) repatriating supply chains for strategic goods (iv) any other issue the committee deems pertinent to the question of inflation and that the committee report back to the House no later than May 31, 2022. That hearings begin on Monday January 17, 2022 and continue on Friday January 21, 2022 and Monday January 24, 2022 and that each of these meetings are 3 hours in length. That this study include the following witness testimony:
- The Finance Minister alone for 3 hours, with a 10 minute opening statement;
- The Governor of the Bank of Canada alone for 3 hours, with a 10 minute opening statement;
- Peter Routledge, the Superintendent of Financial Institutions and Romy Bowers, President and CEO of the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation for 3 hours together;
- Senior Management at Sagen and Canada Guaranty for 2 hours;
- The Chief Statistician of Statistics Canada and any officials responsible for the Consumer Price Index and taking housing costs;
- Any witnesses invited by committee members, and that these names be submitted to the Office of the Clerk by the end of day on Monday, January 17, 2022;
- That during hearings, the chair enforce the rule that a witness response to a question take no longer than the time taken to ask the question; and
- That the study include at least 10 meetings.
Debate arose thereon.
After debate, the question was put on the motion and it was agreed to.
On motion of Terry Beech, it was agreed, — That the committee do now adjourn.
At 3:29 p.m., the committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.