ETHI Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
At 1:25 p.m., pursuant to Standing Order 115(5), it was agreed that the committee continue to sit.
ORDERED, — That Victor Li and Sofia Marquez be summoned to appear before the committee and give evidence on matters relating to the study on questions of conflict of interest in lobbying in relation to the pandemic spending at a date and time of the Chair's discretion.
The Chair presented the First Report from the Subcommittee on Agenda and Procedure, which read as follows:
Your subcommittee met on Thursday, February 11, 2021, to consider the business of the committee and agreed to make the following recommendations:
Protection of Privacy and Reputation on Platforms such as Pornhub
1. That the committee hold three additional meetings, and that lists of witnesses be submitted to the clerk.
2. That the clerk and the analysts prepare a proposed workplan with suggested panels where appropriate.
3. That, following the appearance of Feras Antoon, David Tassillo, and Corey Urman, the following documents be requested from Entreprise MindGeek Canada:
- Transparency reports for MindGeek/Pornhub in the last five years;
- Training manuals that are used by moderators at Pornhub;
- Terms and conditions of Pornhub prior to Tuesday, 8 December 2020, the date on which the new terms and conditions were published;
- Detailed information regarding the Safeguard software used by MindGeek/Pornhub that Mr. David Tassillo discussed during the meeting;
- Copy of the independent review conducted by Kaplan Hecker & Fink LLP started in April 2020;
- Budgets of MindGeek/Pornhub dedicated to providing protections, including: the budget for legal services and the budgets for staff who are dedicated to the area of protection of individuals depicted on their platform;
- Corporate structures of MindGeek/Pornhub and subsidiaries;
- Amounts, in Canadian dollars, of legal settlements that MindGeek/Pornhub has paid out to victims since 2008;
- Number of reports of Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) that MindGeek has made to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police since 2011, by year, as required by Canada’s Internet Child Pornography Reporting legislation;
- Number of reports of CSAM that MindGeek has made to National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) by year since 2008;
- Number of requests MindGeek has received from individuals trying to remove videos they did not consent to be on Pornhub and each of their free sites, by year, over the last five years;
- The process as of January 2020 by which MindGeek reviewed international identification documents in other languages for the monetized Modelhub program;
- The process as of January 2020 by which moderators were reviewing titles, tags and comments in all languages;
- List of words, terms or tags banned and the date as of which they were banned;
- List of categories for which videos could be flagged or reported for review to Pornhub prior to 4 December 2020 and number of videos that were flagged or reported for review to Pornhub prior that date;
- Revenue spent on lobbying in Canada by year since 2007;
- List of recommendations MindGeek/Pornhub would suggest in order to improve legislation and regulations applicable to their platform in Canada.
Questions of Conflict of Interest and Lobbying in Relation to Pandemic Spending
1. That in the event that Marc and Craig Kielburger are unable to appear before the Committee on Friday, February 26, 2021, that their appearance be rescheduled to Monday, March 8, 2021.
It was agreed, — That the First Report from the subcommittee be concurred in.
At 1:34 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 2:35 p.m., the sitting resumed.
Victoria Galy, Witness-Témoin 1, Witness-Témoin 2 made statements and answered questions.
It was agreed, — That the witnesses be permitted to be assisted by counsel and that Michael Bowe be permitted to respond to questions.
At 3:34 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 3:36 p.m., the sitting resumed.
Francis Fortin, Laila Mickelwait and Megan Walker made statements and answered questions.
At 5:12 p.m., the committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.