SECU Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
It was agreed, — That the Second Report from the Subcommittee on Agenda and Procedure, which read as follows, be concurred in:
Your Subcommittee met on Friday, July 31, 2020, to consider the business of the Committee and agreed to make the following recommendations:
1. That the committee continue its study on Systemic Racism in Policing in Canada;
2. That on Friday, August 14, 2020, the committee receive a briefing from the Analyst from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. and that the committee hear from witnesses from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. on that day, as well as on Friday, August 21, 2020, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Monday, August 24, 2020, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.;
3. That the committee hear from a total of 12 witnesses divided by 2 per panel of one hour each, that witnesses be given seven minutes for their opening statement; and that during the questioning of witnesses, six minutes be allocated for the first round of questioners of each party as follows: Conservative Party, Liberal Party, Bloc Québécois, New Democratic Party; that for the second and subsequent rounds of questioners, the order and time for questioning be as follows: Conservative Party, four minutes; Liberal Party, four minutes; Conservative Party, four minutes; Liberal Party, four minutes; Bloc Québécois, two minutes; New Democratic Party, two minutes;
4. That each party submit its list of witnesses to the Clerk of the committee no later than Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.; that the Clerk of the committee distribute the list of suggested witnesses to the subcommittee members; and that the subcommittee members submit their priority witnesses to the Clerk no later than Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.;
5. That the committee invite the Chair of the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians to present a report of the committee; and,
6. That the subcommittee on Agenda and Procedure meet at the end of the month of August to discuss the continuation of its study of the Parole Board and the circumstances that led to a young woman’s death.
At 11:57 a.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 12:07 p.m., the sitting resumed in a webcast session.
Nishan Duraiappah and Bryan Larkin made statements and answered questions.
At 1:07 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 1:13 p.m., the sitting resumed.
Julian Falconer and Lorraine Whitman made statements and answered questions.
At 2:11 p.m., the committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.