HUMA Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
It was agreed, — That, pursuant to the Order of Reference of Monday, November 19, 2018:
1. the Committee invite witnesses to appear for three meetings, including:
— one meeting dedicated to hearing from the author of M-190, the Member from Mississauga East—Cooksville, for one hour, and the other hour dedicated to hearing from departmental officials from Employment and Social Development Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada;
— two meetings dedicated to hearing from witnesses on the topic of M-190 and specifically, but not limited to:
- labour shortages in the greater Toronto and Hamilton area;
- labour shortages in the construction industry, including shortages of skilled workers;
- the challenges associated with the lack of labour for the construction industry, and associated industries, and their impact on Canadians;
- how to decrease any shortages of workers, including through the use of other models and initiatives like the Atlantic Immigration Pilot, and other models worth exploring; and
- how government programs, including funding for training and skilled labour, and re-training for other employees, can support current and future employees, as well as their industries.
2. each party submit their prioritized witness lists, including their contact information, to the Clerk of the Committee no later than 10:00 a.m. on Monday, February 4, 2019; and
3. the Committee report its findings, including recommendations, to the House and that the Committee request that the Government table a comprehensive response to the report.
The Committee commenced consideration of a draft report.
At 11:57 a.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 12:07 p.m., the sitting resumed.
At 12:19 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 12:21 p.m., the sitting resumed.
At 12:48 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 12:51 p.m., the sitting resumed.
At 12:54 p.m., the Committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.