FAAE Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
Arjan de Haan and Thomas S. Axworthy made statements and answered questions.
At 9:43 a.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 9:45 a.m., the sitting resumed.
It was agreed, — That the Committee observe a moment of silence in memory of former Member of Parliament Paul Dewar.
Kevin Deveaux, by videoconference from Bangkok, Thailand, and Pearl Eliadis, by videoconference from Montréal, Québec, made statements and answered questions.
At 10:36 a.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 10:37 a.m., the sitting resumed in camera.
It was agreed, — That the Twenty-Second Report from the Subcommittee on Agenda and Procedure, which read as follows, be concurred in as amended:
Your Subcommittee met on Monday, February 4, 2019, to consider the business of the Committee and agreed to make the following recommendations:
1. That the Committee study Bill S-240, An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (trafficking in human organs), during the fourth week of February 2019.
2. That, in relation to the study of Canada’s sovereignty in the Arctic, the Committee translate the recommendations and executive summary contained in the report into the relevant indigenous languages.
3. That, in relation to the study of Canada’s role in international support for democratic development, the proposed budget in the amount of $16,100 be adopted.
4. That the Committee meet with Rihards Kols, Chair of the Latvian Foreign Affairs Committee, upon his visit to Canada, and that the Chair prepare a letter of invitation in this regard.
5. That the Committee change the normal meeting time on Thursday, February 21, 2019, to 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., to facilitate meeting with Mark Lowcock, United Nations Under-Secretary General and Emergency Relief Coordinator.
6. That the Committee undertake a two-meeting study of the current situation in Venezuela in the spring.
At 10:43 a.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 10:43 a.m., the sitting resumed.
The Committee members made statements in memory of Paul Dewar.
At 10:46 a.m., the Committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.