e-3703 (Food and drink)
Original language of petition: English
Petition to the Government of Canada
- Farmers’ Markets are a key tool for domestic food system resilience and security builders and Farmers' Market Nutrition Coupon Programs (FMNCPs) are a key support for new and existing farmers’ market development and their provincial associations or equivalent;
- FMNCPs help create food security and resiliency by providing vulnerable people access to healthy locally grown foods and dietary education. while improving the physical and mental health of participants by increasing the amount and diversity of fruits and vegetables they consume;
- FMNCPs increase domestic food supply, sustainable farming and helps farmers by providing a secure source of income via farmers’ market sales. These farmers are key stakeholders in climate change mitigation, adaptation and prevention;
- The BC Association of Farmers’ Markets, with its long-term experience and partnership with the province of British Columbia, provides an excellent model for FMNCP, providing over 16,000 vulnerable families, seniors and pregnant women with access to weekly coupons, and $1.9 million to local farmers; and
- As there is a waiting list in all communities participating in BC’s program, a national matching program would assist in meeting that demand, supporting those provinces who have a provincial program to expand and encourage provinces without a program to create one.
- Open for signature
- December 15, 2021, at 5:02 p.m. (EDT)
- Closed for signature
- March 15, 2022, at 5:02 p.m. (EDT)
Only validated signatures are counted towards the total number of signatures.
|Province / Territory