SDIR Committee News Release
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at email@example.com.
Subcommittee on International Human Rights of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development
Sous-comité des droits internationaux de la personne du Comité permanent des affaires étrangères et du développement international
For immediate release
HOUSE OF COMMONS SUBCOMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS CONDEMNS VENEZUELA'S ARBITRARY AND ILLEGAL DETENTION AND IMPRISONMENT OF OPPOSITION LEADER LEOPOLDO LÓPEZ
Ottawa, December 02, 2014 -
On 27 November 2014, the Subcommittee on International Human Rights of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development adopted the following motion:
Be it resolved that the Subcommittee:
- Condemns the arbitrary and illegal detention and imprisonment of Mr. López and the violations of his fundamental freedoms and rights to a fair trial as guaranteed under international law and the Venezuelan constitution;
- Condemns the suppression of peaceful protests and the mass arrests and detentions of political prisoners;
- Calls for the release of Leopoldo López, Daniel Ceballos, and all political prisoners in the country;
- Calls on the Venezuelan government to abide by the decisions of the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention calling for Leopoldo López and Daniel Ceballos’s immediate release;
- Calls on the Venezuelan government to respect its treaty obligations under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to which Venezuela is a Party;
- Calls on the Venezuelan government to respect its treaty obligations under the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman, and Degrading Treatment, to which Venezuela is a Party.
- 30 -