On new Clause 3,Francis Scarpaleggia moved, — That Bill C-293 be amended by adding after line 13 on page 3 the following new clause:
“91.5 (1) Any offender who submits more than 100 complaints or grievances —including complaints or grievances filed jointly with another offender or offenders — in any twelve-month period shall be designated as a multiple grievor.
(2) If an offender is designated as a multiple grievor under subsection (1), the institutional head of the penitentiary in which the offender is incarcerated shall immediately notify the offender in writing of this fact and provide the offender with an opportunity to contest the designation in accordance with the criteria specified in the Offender Complaint and Grievance Procedures Manual.
(3) An offender who has been designated as a multiple grievor under subsection (1) may not file more than one complaint or grievance in any two-week period. If the offender exceeds this amount, he or she shall identify the one complaint or grievance with which he or she wishes to proceed.
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply in respect of a complaint or grievance concerning matters that would have a direct effect on the life, liberty or security of the complainant if not resolved.
(5) The designation referred to in subsection (1) shall expire after six months.
(6) If, after a designation in respect of an offender expires in accordance with subsection (5), the offender submits more than 25 complaints or grievances in the three months following the date of expiration, the offender shall again be designated as a multiple grievor. This designation, and any subsequent designation, shall expire after 12 months.
(7) The institutional head may suspend a designation under subsection (1) or (6) if the offender agrees in writing to follow a plan proposed by the institutional head that provides for a more constructive manner for the offender to express his or her dissatisfaction. Any such suspension remains in effect as long as the offender complies with the plan.
(8) The transfer of an offender designated as a mutiple grievor under this section from one penitentiary to another does not affect that designation.
(9) If the designation of an offender as a multiple grievor has been suspended because the offender has agreed to follow a plan in accordance with subsection (7), the transfer of the offender from one penitentiary to another shall not affect the suspension unless the plan is not compatible with the operations of the new penitentiary.
(10) An offender who has been designated as a multiple grievor under this section may submit a grievance against the designation and the designation shall be suspended until such time as the grievance is resolved.
(11) An offender’s designation as a multiple grievor under this section may be recorded in documents that do not relate solely to the complaint and grievance process.”