The stained glass windows, with their rich colour scheme, harmonious composition and appropriate theme, play a dominant role in creating the special atmosphere of this important national shrine. During his visit to Europe in the summer of 1921, architect Pearson consulted with several stained glass artists in Great Britain on designs for these memorial windows. The final design contract was awarded, however, to Frank S.J. Hollister of Toronto, who had spent four years in active service during the Great War. Preliminary drawings, accompanied by a description of each window, were prepared and presented to the Department of Public Works for approval by Order in Council, in 1925.
The large windows, each divided into four panels by stone mullions, include two tiers of tall figures who are most often symbolic in nature. A great variety of ornamental and heraldic detail complements the attributes and principles of these figures. The tracery lights in the upper part of the windows display the coats of arms of the United Kingdom, Canada and the provinces.
Further reading: Shirley Ann Brown, "Remembrance of War: stained-glass windows in Ottawa's Peace Tower are an innovative tribute to Canadians at War." Rotunda, v. 31, no.1, Summer 1998, pp. 12-17