JUST Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
Minutes of Proceedings
It was agreed, — That the First Report from the Subcommittee on Agenda and Procedure, which read as follows, be concurred in:
1. That the Committee invite department officials to brief the Committee on the Justice portfolio Tuesday, February 23, 2016.
2. That the Committee invite Hon. Jody Wilson-Raybould, Minister of Justice, to appear in the next two sitting weeks subject to the Minister’s availability.
3. That all Government legislation referred by the House to the Committee has precedence over self-initiated studies.
4. That the Committee undertake a study on Access to the Justice System which shall include reviews of:
a) the Court Challenges Program;
b) access to legal aid;
c) delays in the administration of justice; and
d) section 4.1(1) of the Department of Justice Act.
5. That the Committee consider the following future study topics as follows:
1) Comprehensive review of the Criminal Code including but not limited to:
a) encouraging alternatives to incarceration to reduce rates of incarceration, particularly amongst the Indigenous population;
b) enhancing the response to human trafficking; and
c) enhancing the response to cybersecurity and cyberbullying.
2) A study on the criminal aspects of assisted human reproduction; and
3) The selection process for the nomination of Supreme Court of Canada judges.
It was agreed, — That the Committee undertake a study on the Supplementary Estimates (C) 2015-16: Votes 1c and 5c under Justice and Vote 1c under Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
At 8:49 a.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 8:51 a.m., the sitting resumed in a public and televised session.
Donald K. Piragoff made a statement and, with Alyson MacLean, answered questions.
At 10:11 a.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 10:16 a.m., the sitting resumed.
Laurie Wright made a statement and, with Laurie Sargent, answered questions.
At 10:46 a.m., the Committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.