BOIE
Consult the user guide
For assistance, please contact us
Consult the user guide
For assistance, please contact us
Add search criteria
Results: 1 - 100 of 444
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We are beginning the 17th meeting of the Board of Internal Economy.
The first item on the agenda is the minutes of the previous meeting, on April 22. Are there any comments on that?
Mrs. DeBellefeuille has the floor, and she will be followed by Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Aubé could answer that question.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Certainly.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you.
We'll continue with Mr. Holland, followed by Mr. Richards.
Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay.
Mr. Richards is addressing a different matter as well.
Mr. Julian, are you addressing the same matter or a different matter?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay, go ahead.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you very much.
Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Yes, that's no problem. Go ahead.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Very good. Thank you.
Now we'll go to Mr. Holland, followed by Mr. Richards.
Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I believe we have a point of order.
Mrs. DeBellefeuille has the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
It's a matter related to the business arising from the previous meeting. It was a little mixed up, but we let it go.
Mr. Holland, I'm not sure exactly how you would like to proceed right now. Would you like to withdraw and then come back?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
If I could, at this point, because we had determined that this was an item that was in camera, and it is—
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I'll refer to our legal team to comment on it, just so that we're not breaking any rules and to make sure that we're within our legal parameters.
Mr. Dufresne, would you like to comment on this?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Dufresne, based on what was just said, I want to make sure whether Mr. Holland can continue or cannot continue. My impression is that based on what you're saying he can continue and it won't be an infraction.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Holland, I'd ask you to continue, then, please.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any comments or questions from the other members?
Go ahead, Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I have two more members to speak, but before we go to Mr. Julian and Mr. Rodriguez, I'm going to defer to Mr. Patrice to give us a legal opinion on what we're doing right now, or where we're at to make sure that everything is in line.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I'm going to continue then. There's a fine line that we're stepping on here.
I'll let Mr. Julian go ahead, followed by Mr. Rodriguez, Mr. Holland and Madame DeBellefeuille.
Mr. Julian, please go ahead.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We'll go to Mr. Rodriguez, followed by Madame DeBellefeuille, and then come back.
We have some different interpretations here.
Mr. Rodriguez, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you.
Mrs. DeBellefeuille has the floor, and then it will be Mr. Holland's turn.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you, Mrs. DeBellefeuille.
We'll go to Mr. Holland.
I believe you had your hand up.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Julian, I first want to give a little synopsis of where I believe we are.
We have a motion asking us to request Mr. Lemire's presence in front of the board, in camera, to find out general information about what happened and to see what we can discover. The issue, before it comes to a question of the board, is that we do have two members I've heard from so far who have some legal concerns about doing that.
I'm proposing that maybe we should go in camera to discuss the legal matters and then come back out and make a decision on whether to invite Mr. Lemire. That decision is a public one. The legal matters—the questions that can be asked—would have to be in camera.
Does that sum up where we are? Does that make sense?
Based on what I just said, I guess, Mr. Julian seems to have a question on this. Then we'll go to Mr. Richards.
Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
There's been another motion put forward. Do we have consensus to proceed with that before we go to...?
I know we have Mr. Richards and Mr. Holland, as well, who have a few comments to make.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you.
We'll go to Mr. Holland,
Next, Mr. Deltell will have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Deltell, you have the floor.
Then it will be Mr. LeBlanc's turn.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. LeBlanc, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
If I can go back to Mr. Julian, the tradition with our decisions has been to have a consensus. If there is no consensus, there is no decision.
The motion is to invite Monsieur Lemire to an in camera session.
Do we have consensus to do that?
No. I see as many heads shaking one way as the other, so we do not have consensus.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Just to clarify, mine was a suggestion, not a ruling. I really am at the mercy of the board in what they decide.
Like I said, the tradition is consensus. That's what we're striving for.
Mr. Holland, you have another comment.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Richards, you have a comment as well?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Very good. We'll now go to Mr. Julian.
Then Mrs. DeBellefeuille will have the floor.
Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Very good.
The list is growing again. I'm going to ask one more time, to use Mr. Holland's word, whether we can use the “elegant solution”—and just so that you know, it was not my idea. We had some wonderful legal minds around the table who proposed doing that, namely, going in camera to ask the questions to cover the legal areas and then coming back and making the decision publicly.
I'll just put that out there again if anybody would like to proceed that way. I'm just putting it out there as a possibility. If there is any objection to that, please voice it now.
Are we okay? Do we have consensus before we go that route?
Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I understand. I'm looking for consensus because that's normally how we do things. It is a tradition that I want to make sure remains.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay, so we don't have consensus about going in camera. Very good.
Mrs. DeBellefeuille now has the floor. She will be followed by Ms. Petitpas Taylor, Mr. Rodriguez, Mr. Deltell and Mr. Julian.
Mrs. DeBellefeuille, go ahead.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Ms. Petitpas Taylor, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Rodriguez has the floor. He will be followed by Mr. Deltell and Mr. Julian.
Go ahead, Mr. Rodriguez.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We'll continue with Mr. Deltell, followed by Mr. Julian.
Mr. Deltell, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We'll continue with Mr. Julian, followed by Mr. Holland and Mr. LeBlanc.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We will continue.
You had your hand up, Mr. Holland. I just want to make sure....
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay, we'll go to Mr. LeBlanc.
After checking, I just want to clarify that consensus is a tradition in the Board of Internal Economy. It is a tradition that is very strong, but a forced vote is also something that is allowed, depending on what the board decides.
Monsieur LeBlanc.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Deltell, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We will look for this information.
Mr. Holland would like to say something as well, followed by Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay, very good.
Sorry, we'll have Mr. Julian followed by Mr. Richards. We still have some questions.
Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Now we'll go to Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
The proposal seems to be—and I'll see if we have a consensus on it—to continue with the agenda and deal with this item in camera, and then come back in public and make a decision then.
I see some puzzled faces. Maybe that's not the next step. I see heads going back and forth, and that we don't have consensus.
Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I think that's where we're going to have to go, then, because we don't have consensus on that item.
Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I'm just going to move on to Mr. Holland, followed by Mr. Richards.
Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay. We have Mr. Richards next.
Before we go to Mr. Richards, I just had some information given to me that we'll try this one more time. What's being proposed—and again I'll need your consensus for this—is that we continue with the agenda and when we go in camera we have a chance to discuss this further, and then come back out of camera once that's done and vote on the item at hand.
Is that acceptable to everyone? Basically, we're continuing with the agenda. It shouldn't take very long. We'll go in camera and then come back out to make a decision. Do we have consensus?
Yes, we will continue with item number two, which shouldn't take very long.
Do I have consensus? Okay, we have consensus. There have been different variations of it, but let's continue.
On item number two, business arising from the previous meeting, are there any items? Seeing none, we'll move on.
On mental health and wellness resources and professional development for members and their employees, Madame Laframboise and Robyn Daigle have a presentation.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I'm sorry, Madame Laframboise. I'm going to have to interrupt you for a second. I'm sorry.
Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Oh, I'm sorry. Okay.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay. We'll be very brief, if you don't mind, but thank you for pointing that out.
Madame Laframboise, I'm sorry.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
There is no response as of yet.
Monsieur Patrice, has there been a response yet? No.
Maybe we'll push a little harder. I'll instruct our team to push on it again.
That's very good. Now we'll continue.
Ms. Laframboise, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any questions?
Mr. Holland, and then Madame DeBellefeuille.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
All right.
We'll now go to Mrs. DeBellefeuille, followed by Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay.
Ms. Laframboise, do you have any comments?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Now we'll go to Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I'll let Mr. Holland answer that if....
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I believe Mr. Holland has a question or a comment.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Very good.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Richards, do you have another point?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Very good.
I'm looking at the time, and we're past our 1 o'clock finish time.
Do we want to extend the session? I know there's a certain interest in this item in particular, but we also have other items as we get closer to QP.
Is there consensus on what we want to do with this session, its being 1 o'clock?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
To what point: just for this item?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay, just for this item. The others we'll take up when we come back.
Very good.
The floor goes to Mrs. DeBellefeuille. She will be followed by Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Go ahead, Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Go ahead, Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Holland.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
That's good.
If there are no more comments on that.... That was part of my understanding of the consensus. We're basically instructing HR to explore offering additional health and wellness resources to members and to employees of the House and administration. We're also directing them to explore changes to existing professional development regimes. I will add as well that they consult with whips to see what they're looking for so that we can have options when we return to make a decision.
Do we have consensus on that? Does that make sense?
Mr. Richards, do you have a comment?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We have that request on the record, and it will be brought to the board.
Mrs. DeBellefeuille, do you have a question or comment?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you very much. That is a good point.
With the direction given, if there are no further questions, we will adjourn today's meeting and continue the agenda at the next meeting.
I declare this meeting adjourned.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We have everyone here, so we'll get this meeting started. The agenda is before you.
This is meeting number 16 of the Board of Internal Economy. Welcome.
We'll start with the minutes of the previous meeting. Is everything in order? Are there any comments?
If everything is fine and we're all in accordance, we'll move on to item number 2.
Item number 2 is called “Business arising from previous meeting.“ Are there any comments or changes to be made?
Mrs. DeBellefeuille, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Is everyone in agreement?
No one tells me otherwise.
Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Mr. Richards.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Who can answer that?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
If there are no other comments or questions, we'll move on to item number 4.
Number 4 is for reimbursement of accommodations, meals and incidental expenses for self-isolation. Our presenter here will be Mr. Paquette.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Certainly, Mr. Richards, go ahead on a point of order.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Certainly. I'll just pass it on to Mr. Patrice, who can comment on that.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any other questions on number 3?
We'll move back to number 4.
Mr. Paquette, Ms. Laframboise, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any questions or comments?
Mr. Rodriguez, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any other questions or comments?
Mrs. DeBellefeuille, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any other questions or comments?
From what I hear, this request is not approved. So we're going to set it aside.
Let's move on to item number 5, the reimbursement of voluntary carbon offset credits.
Mr. Paquette, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you, Mr. Paquette.
Are there any questions?
Are there any comments?
We have Mr. Julian and Madame DeBellefeuille.
Mr. Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you.
Now we'll go to Mrs. DeBellefeuille, followed by Mr. Rodriguez.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Thank you.
Mr. Rodriguez, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any other comments?
So how do you want us to proceed? Opinions are divided. Since we don't have a consensus, do we leave it or do we ask for a little more information?
I see shrugs, but no more than that.
Mr. Julian, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Okay.
Thank you very much for your guidance.
So we'll wait to get a little more information for next time.
Thank you very much, Mr. Julian.
We will now go in camera.
We will take five minutes for a break, and then at 11:30 we'll start again in camera.
[Proceedings continue in camera]
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We're going to start the agenda, item number one, the minutes from the previous meeting—I just want to check—from February 25, 2021.
Are they okay?
We are in order—I see heads nodding—so we will move on.
Let's proceed with item 2 on the agenda, business arising from the previous meeting. For your information, we are looking at resource utilisation for parliamentary events, audio headsets for virtual Parliament, and technical observations on hybrid proceedings and information concerning committee witnesses.
Mrs. DeBellefeuille, you have the floor.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We will ask. I don't know who has that information.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Are there any comments on the second item?
Mr. Richards, do you have a comment on item number two?
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
I believe that's for Monsieur Aubé.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
We'll go to you on that, Mr. Janse.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
Our next person on the schedule is Mr. Julian, followed by Mr. Holland.
However, before I go to Mr. Julian, Mr. Richards mentioned the microphone being...the quality and the health of our interpreters. I just want to remind all of the people who are on today that it's best if the arm is about halfway between your nose and your upper lip so that we can avoid the popping sound. That will take into consideration the health of our interpreters, whom we care about so much.
Monsieur Julian.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
You're doing fine, Mr. Richards. Actually, I should say that that's standard, but depending on where your breath goes, you could hold it lower between your lower lip and your chin. These are things that I observe while I'm sitting in the chair and watching you guys speak. Now you know what I do with my time.
Collapse
View Anthony Rota Profile
Lib. (ON)
No, the big concern is when it's directly in front of your mouth. When your breath comes out, it pops on it, and it's very difficult on the interpreters' ears.
Collapse
Results: 1 - 100 of 444 | Page: 1 of 5

1
2
3
4
5
>
>|
Export As: XML CSV RSS

For more data options, please see Open Data