BOIE
Consult the user guide
For assistance, please contact us
Consult the user guide
For assistance, please contact us
Add search criteria
Results: 1 - 100 of 486
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Order. We are now in the public session of the Board of Internal Economy meeting. We will go to the next item, which is the minutes of the previous meeting. Are they approved?
Go ahead, Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Thank you very much.
Is there anything else?
With that information—
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
With that presentation, then, can we say the minutes are approved?
Some hon. members: Agreed.
Hon. Geoff Regan: Thank you very much.
The next item is business arising from the previous meeting. Is there anything arising from the previous meeting?
Some hon. members: No.
Hon. Geoff Regan: Thank you.
Now we're at the seventh item on the agenda: the update from the members' working group on the LTVP.
We have quite a group here to present on that. Is it Ms. Sgro who will lead off?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Go ahead, Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Do we have copies of the presentation available for members?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
We have something. However, it doesn't include the list that you were starting to read. It sounded as though it would be a good list for us to have.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Yes, the guiding principles. We'd better let you carry on.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Go ahead, Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Go ahead, Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Before I go to Ms. Block, this is listed on the agenda as an update. To what degree are you looking for a decision from the board?
Ms. Block had her hand up.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Thank you.
We will go to Mr. Julian and then Ms. Bergen.
Wait, it's Monsieur Rodriguez. Let's not be confused about that.
I apologize.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Ms. Bergen is next.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Ms. Bergen, I think you've perceived the role precisely. You've stated accurately and exactly what it was intended to be.
I see Monsieur Patrice, and I don't know if Mr. Wright wants to comment as well to give the perspectives of the administration and of PSPC.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Then are you saying it's a way to ensure that members are involved and are being consulted as the process goes forward and the construction proceeds? Do I read you correctly as suggesting that the board ought to be inserting itself by giving its—I don't know if the word I want is “decision”—own input into certain aspects of this?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I see. We're the ones that state the requirements of the House of Commons, right?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Can we compare that to what the role of PSPC is, and the executive?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I'm sorry to interject, but with regard to the Senate, we've talked here about the board's expressing what the House's requirements are. Does the Senate's own committee—I forget the name of the committee, but it's comparable to this one—do the same thing? Is there an aspect of the space that we're talking about that relates to the needs of the Senate as opposed to the House, or is it more parliamentary, and both are considered together?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Ms. Sgro and Ms. Block wish to intervene. Then I'll go to Ms. Bergen and Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Before I go to Ms. Block, I think it is that you're there on behalf of members to convey members' concerns and to make sure that they're consulted. You are the voice of members in that process.
Go ahead, Ms. Block.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I'm not sure that we do make the ultimate decisions, except to say what we think the requirements of the House of Commons are. PSPC has to make construction decisions and so on.
By the way, what we're asked for today, and what the presentation asks for, is approval for a certain size of space to be enclosed by walls and in which the work can be carried out. Of course, that would allow for things of various sizes within that space later, right? That's all you're talking about.
At any rate, I have Ms. Bergen, Mr. Strahl and Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Go ahead, Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
It's simply, I think, whether they can put up this wall of this size.
Mr. Julian has a different view. I'll go to him after Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Before I go to Mr. Julian, I would ask us to keep in mind how spread out the footprint of the precinct is now. Maybe in due course we could have a comment about whether part of this is intended to either limit that footprint in the future or bring it back a bit, which helps in a number of ways with efficiency, security, etc.
Go ahead, Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Go ahead, Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Thank you. You put it well by saying “where to insert ourselves”.
I have Mrs. Block and Monsieur Patrice—oh, we don't have any time. Sorry; I think I had better suspend. Will you come back, please?
Mrs. Block, you have 30 seconds.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
We will all reflect on those wise words over the next 10 minutes or so, and then we'll come back, I think—or can we? We can't come back today? We have to finish? I have until 1:30, as I understand it.
The meeting is suspended.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Do we wish to approve the excavation contract strategy and the construction hoarding? Is it agreed?
Some hon. members: Agreed.
Hon. Geoff Regan: Monsieur Patrice has indicated that he will provide members of the board, in the next week or so, with a note on the governance of this process.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I think that from here on, it is important that we decide when we want to insert ourselves—or the board in the future can decide that, whoever they may be.
Colleagues, I thank you very much. I know you have lots to do, so I think we had better...or do we want to go on with the next item? We have another item, I guess. Sorry.
Go ahead, Ms. Bergen.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Before we adjourn, we have agenda item 8, video broadcasting and webcasting for committees.
Judy, would you go ahead, please?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I'm sorry to interrupt you, Ms. Sgro, but I think what we need to come to quickly is the fact that you've made recommendations. They are at the end of the note—
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
They are:
1) That the Speaker write to the House Leaders to recommend they seek the approval of the House to expand the number of committee meetings that may video broadcast/webcast simultaneously.
2) Approve additional resources as outlined in the Considerations section under “A. Financial Implications”.
3) That the temporary funding be absorbed through any surpluses from the global envelope for standing committees available at the end of the fiscal year 2019-2020.
Is the board ready to say yes to that?
Go ahead, Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Okay. That's an option we could do. Does everyone else agree to that, or are there other comments? I see no other comments, so are we agreed to that proposal from Mr. Strahl?
Some hon. members: Agreed.
Hon. Geoff Regan: Very good.
Thank you very much. Sorry to cut you short, but we don't have any time. We're now on to the four reports that are numbered 9, 10, 11 and 12 on the agenda. Are there any issues arising?
Go ahead, Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Go ahead, Ms. Daigle.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Are the four reports adopted?
Some hon. members: Agreed.
Hon. Geoff Regan: I will table the ones mentioned, number 9 and number 12.
Thank you very much, members, for all your hard work on the board. Have a good summer, and good luck.
The meeting is adjourned.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
The Board of Internal Economy is called to order.
First of all on our agenda, we have the minutes of the previous meeting. Are they approved?
Some hon. members: Agreed.
Hon. Geoff Regan: Is there any business arising from the previous meeting?
With Mr. Rodriguez's arrival, a Board of Internal Economy spokesperson must be designated for the government.
Do you have anyone to nominate?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Okay.
In the absence of an objection, it will be recorded in the minutes that Mr. Holland has been selected as one of the spokespersons for the Board of Internal Economy, along with Mr. Strahl.
I'd like to take a few moments to update the board on the members' working group and the LTVP, the long-term vision plan. You'll recall that at our meeting on February 28, we discussed the governance of the Centre Block rehabilitation project and agreed to establish a working group that would report back to the board. This is a topic that members of the procedure and House affairs committee have expressed concern about. They are anxious that members of Parliament be involved in this process.
The working group has now been established and is composed of the following members: the Honourable Judy Sgro, Kelly Block, and Peter Julian.
The group will provide a forum to consult members and guide the administration on the needs of parliamentarians, while taking into account financial requirements, concepts and considerations. It will meet next week and will report to the board at our next meeting.
Peter, I guess this means that you folks will get the blame if there are any problems in 10 years' time.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
That will be interesting.
All right, is there any other business arising from the previous meeting?
Seeing none, let's go on to number three, the 2018-19 year-end financial report.
Presenting on behalf of the administration, we have Monsieur Daniel Paquette with Madame Elaine Valiquette.
Mr. Paquette, go ahead.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Thank you very much.
Mr. Rodriguez, the floor is yours.
We will then continue with Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
It's a distinct budget that goes before the procedure and House affairs committee, of course, and then back to the House as part of the estimates.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Okay.
Is there anybody else who wants to speak on this topic?
Okay, we'll go to the next topic.
Thank you very much.
As we go on to the next topic, I'll ask Madam Bergen to chair the meeting as I have to leave for the official ceremony to welcome the Vice-President of the United States, Mr. Pence.
Madam Bergen, please.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
This meeting of the Board of Internal Economy is called to order.
Our first item is the minutes of the previous meeting. Are they approved? Yes.
Second, is there any business arising from the previous meeting?
Madam Chagger.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I wonder if I could ask the law clerk to respond.
Can Mr. Dufresne answer the question?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Madam Chagger.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
You said to have it come back to the Board of Internal Economy, not to PROC? I thought she was suggesting that she'd like recommendations to go to PROC first. Is that wrong?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Oh, it's to the board; okay. I thought you meant that they were looking for recommendations to be made back; they'd asked for the recommendations and the administration could make them directly back to PROC and therefore not have to go through the step of having it here. But I'm open to what....
Again, from what Mr. Dufresne has told us, essentially, I don't think it's within the jurisdiction of the board to make these kinds of regulations. It is the House. That's under the advice of PROC, but PROC has asked for recommendations—
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Okay.
Ms. Bergen first, then Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Go ahead, Mr. Strahl, and then I'm going to ask Mr. Dufresne to educate us a bit.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I'm going to ask, Mr. Dufresne, has the procedure and House affairs committee, or PROC as we call it, already asked for these recommendations? Is there any difficulty before it goes to the procedure and House affairs committee in sharing those with members of the board or if members wish to have it discussed here, even though it's not the jurisdiction of the board to make these regulations or to recommend them to the House?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
First of all, isn't PROC in a sense already seized of this in that it has worked on this? I guess it's completed its report, but it's raised the issue and asked for recommendations. I guess the question is, does the board wish to deal with this rather than have the administration report directly to PROC and for the board to ask PROC to deal with this? Does the board wish to have a discussion before then on the recommendations before it goes to the procedure and House affairs committee?
Ms. Chagger.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Ms. Bergen.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
The first question is, are there recommendations already prepared?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I think that's what the board is asking for. Is that right?
Ms. Bergen.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
It seems to me that leaves the option open to the members of the board that, if everyone agrees on what's proposed, to have them go directly to PROC and not have to come here, if everyone is already agreed. That's always an option, should the members let me know that's their wish.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
For the time being, we'll ask for the recommendations to be brought to the next board meeting.
Is there anything else on this?
Ms. Chagger.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Absolutely.
Thank you.
Is there anything else from the previous meeting?
Seeing nothing, we're on to number three, updating rules respecting political party executives.
We have the law clerk with us.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Also with us is Mr. Parent and Mr. Paquette.
Gentlemen, the floor is yours.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Are there any questions or comments?
Is it the will of the board to adopt these recommendations?
Some hon. members: Agreed.
Hon. Geoff Regan: That's adopted.
Thank you very much.
We will now hear from Charles Robert, Clerk of the House of Commons, on the 2019-22 strategic plan for the House.
Before we go ahead, do members wish to have a presentation? The question is, if members have looked at this already, they may or may not be already content with it, so would they like to give an indication of whether they want to have the presentation or whether they want to agree to this and go onto the next thing?
An hon. member: Approved.
Hon. Geoff Regan: We're agreed to this?
Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
All right, then?
Sorry, Mr. Clerk.
Mr. Charles Robert: I'm good with that.
Hon. Geoff Regan: We adopt and approve your recommendation on the strategic plan and move on to number five. This is the use of House resources with respect to a former member's secondary residence.
I will now give the floor to Mr. Paquette, Mr. Dufresne and Mr. Fernandez. 
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
My apologies.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Thank you very much.
Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Holland.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Ms. Bergen.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Thank you.
There's no recommendation here. There's nothing else you require from us. I thank colleagues for their comments on this matter.
We now move on to item 6, the use of House resources with respect to a member's designated website.
Mr. Paquette, you may go ahead.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I have Mr. Holland, and then Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
We have Mr. Ben Moussa who can answer some of the technical aspects from the IT perspective.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Ms. Bergen.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Holland.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Ms. Chagger.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Were your campaign workers involved?
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I was just kidding.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Holland and then Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
It seems to me that, among other things, we need to clarify whether you can promote your Facebook or Twitter page on your own designated website or in your printed material that's paid for by the House, if you use any of those in partisan ways.
I think that may not be clear to members right now. I think we need to make that very clear.
Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
It sounds to me, if I'm not mistaken, that when you look at the options presented in the conclusion today, members seem to be wanting to provide periodic reminders to members about the rules that apply. It says:
That the House Administration provide periodic reminders to Members regarding the Members By-law and policy requirements not to use House of Commons resources, whether directly or indirectly, for soliciting membership to a political party or for activities that are related to a meeting of an electoral district association;
In itself, is that satisfactory or not?
Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
If the House administration gives reminders of what the rule is, as it has presently been stated in the past, members would accept to be—
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Holland.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
To step into what may be dangerous and tricky ground, it seems to me that the public would not want to see members being able to use public resources to advance their partisan, political.... The problem is that what you're describing to me, I can't see the public wanting that to be acceptable: using dollars provided by the House in order to develop the membership of your riding association.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I think we can do that. Okay? Agreed. Thank you very much.
We will provide reminders on the basis of the present rules. The administration will come back with recommendations as discussed here, including, I think, for the idea of graduated consequences. We've heard that from a number of members. There will be no further action in relation to the complaint in this particular instance. We do have to respond and let them know that, obviously.
We now have to go in camera for a number of items that require us to be in camera. We'll pause for a moment while we do that.
[Proceedings continue in camera]
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
I call to order this meeting of the Board of Internal Economy.
I want to welcome Mr. Julian back to the Board of Internal Economy.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
It's the first time in this building.
First, of course, we have the minutes of the previous meeting. Are those approved?
Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Duly noted—and will do, I'm told.
Are the minutes approved otherwise?
They're approved. Okay.
Is there any business arising from the previous meeting?
Not seeing any, we will now move on to the modernization of policies related to communicating with constituents.
During the board's meeting on February 28, 2019, changes to the ten percenter program were presented for approval. Members discussed the introduction of a limit on the number of mailings that an MP can distribute under the proposed new program.
The initial proposal included a limit of six times the number of households in a member's constituency per calendar year. It was agreed that further examination of this limit was required. It's my understanding that since the last meeting, a revised proposal to establish the limit at eight times the number of households in a member's constituency per calendar year has been put forward and is supported. If this is indeed the case, the administration will monitor volumes and financial forecasts and return to the board for direction in any given year, if required.
Is it the will of the board to approve this revised proposal?
I think I'm seeing “yes”, so that's agreed.
That finishes point number three. You guys are really good.
Mr. Strahl.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Thank you very much.
Is there anything else?
Thank you, gentlemen.
We'll move on to point number four, which is transition support, or resettlement provisions, for members not re-elected and not seeking re-election.
The presenters are Mr. Paquette, Mr. Parent and Ms. Daigle.
Go ahead, Mr. Parent.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Madam Bergen.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
We'll look at that, and I can assure you.... It was such a shock to me that I still call it my involuntary sabbatical, and not my loss, you see?
Mr. Holland.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Julian.
View Geoff Regan Profile
Lib. (NS)
Mr. Strahl.
Results: 1 - 100 of 486 | Page: 1 of 5

1
2
3
4
5
>
>|
Export As: XML CSV RSS

For more data options, please see Open Data