Committee
Consult the user guide
For assistance, please contact us
Consult the user guide
For assistance, please contact us
Add search criteria
Results: 1 - 60 of 1427
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Chair.
My question is for Dr. Vascotto.
Numerous witnesses appearing before the committee have referenced the DFO modelling. It's something that I am not familiar with at all. A retired senior DFO manager referenced the Scandinavian stock model.
Dr. Vascotto, are you familiar with DFO modelling? Is it accurately capturing the data that's going in, in an effective manner, so as to get the right decision coming out?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Okay. Thank you.
My next question is for Mr. LeBlanc.
Leonard, you referenced, in your written brief to the committee, the need for better collaboration between the fisher experience and DFO. We've heard this extensively in this report about the sometimes inability of fisher knowledge to find its way into the science-based decision-making process at DFO.
My question for you is a candid one. When the minister announces an increase in stocks, nobody questions the science, including fishers. The minute you start cutting the quota, then everybody starts to question the science. What would you recommend to this committee for its recommendations to the minister that the information provided by fishers is valid and can be taken into the consideration process? Could you give us your opinion on that?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Leonard. That's a valid point, and actually, that's the first time we've heard that. If you could provide anything in a written form to us on how you would like to see fisher knowledge incorporated into the department's scientific decisions, it would be appreciated.
Thank you.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Chair.
Through you, my question is for Mr. Hardy.
Mr. Hardy, there's been a lot of discussion on the seal population on both the east and west coasts—primarily the east coast. When I look at the numbers, the harvest quota has been several million animals over the last number of years. There wouldn't be 10% of it caught. What has to be done to entice fishers to fully exploit the quota that's there now?
Could you comment briefly?
What did we miss? The fishers are not harvesting the allowable quota. Why?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
That's the harvest. The overall quota's 100,000 animals a year.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
I understand that, Mr. Hardy, but still, the fishers for years have not exploited the resource they had access to, so until we actually solve that problem, I don't think it's a market. To develop a fishery, we have to first of all establish what the cost is and then be prepared to subsidize that in some form until the market is developed, because, as I've pointed out, there are several million there that are not being utilized.
I want to move on to Mr. Chris Jones. In testimony from various witnesses, testimony that has come in has been referencing the modelling DFO uses in the science. This was raised by a number of fisher organizations that were not sure.... They were questioning the modelling used. You, in your testimony, referenced that the stock assessment models were updated and you referenced Canadian versus Scandinavian stock models.
Could you comment? Do you know if there's a significant difference between the modelling used by Canadian fishery science versus the Scandinavian? From all accounts, Scandinavia has managed their fisheries well.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Mr. Jones.
I have one final question. How would you recommend to this committee or what would you recommend to this committee on how DFO could incorporate the fisher-based knowledge? There's a disconnect between the two. How would you suggest that for this committee and, because I'm going to run out of time, could you follow it up in maybe a written presentation?
That appears to be the issue that must be resolved: the methodology for incorporating fisher-based knowledge and science with DFO science on the management of the stock. Could you comment briefly?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Chair.
Mr. Young, you made an earlier statement that artificially controlling or controlling ecosystems has failed. Could you quickly point to an example?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Okay.
I have a question for Dr. Rangeley.
You made a comment about using science to rebuild stocks, but that may conflict or does conflict with fisher science. Could you broaden the terminology? Because that's what we hear constantly: The fisher science or the fisher knowledge is often in conflict with the DFO science.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Yes, it does.
Further around that, when science conflicts with fishers' knowledge or science, what option, then, would you suggest be used, from your professional background?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you.
Perhaps I can get in a quick final question to Chris Jones.
You talked about two-tiered science. Just quickly, what were you referencing, Mr. Jones, when you referenced two-tiered science? I believe that was in reference to DFO science.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Did that come from cutbacks in the department?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Welcome to meeting number 31 of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities. Today's meeting is taking place in a hybrid format. I would anticipate that all those attending in person will follow the health procedures that are in place at this time.
To ensure an orderly meeting, I would ask that all questions and interventions be directed through me, as chair. Those appearing virtually have the option of using the official language of their choice. If interpretation stops, please get my attention. We'll suspend until it is corrected.
I would also ask that members speak slowly for the benefit of the interpreters, so they can clearly capture what you're saying. As well, for those appearing virtually, you can select translation services by using the icon at the bottom of your screen. As well, use the “raise hand” feature to get my attention.
Before I begin to introduce the witnesses, I want to clarify for the benefit of the committee that at our last meeting we had an agreement that all witnesses would speak for four minutes and then we would go into a full round of questioning. Is that still the will of the committee?
I'm sensing unanimity, Madam Clerk. We have agreement. Because the committee adopted five minutes at our forming meeting, we had to deal with that. Thank you.
Pursuant to Standing Order 108(2) and the motion adopted by the committee on Thursday, February 3, 2022, the committee will resume its study of the housing accelerator fund. I would like to welcome our witnesses to begin our discussions. As indicated, they will each have four minutes of opening remarks, followed by questions.
From the Aboriginal Housing Management Association, we have Celeste Hayward. From Designable Environments Inc., we have Thea Kurdi, president. From Kanaka Bar Indian Band, we have Patrick Michell, chief.
In the room with us, we have Gary Gladstone from Reena, head of stakeholder relations. I understand he has to leave around 12:30.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you.
From the Squamish Nation, we have Sarah Silva, chief executive officer, housing society; and from the Women's National Housing and Homelessness Network, we have Carolyn Whitzman, advisory board member.
We will start with the Aboriginal Housing Management Association for four minutes.
Ms. Hayward, you have the floor.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Hayward, and yes, it was. Thank you.
Now we go to Designable Environments Incorporated and Thea Kurdi.
You have the floor.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Kurdi.
Now we'll go to Mr. Michell for four minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Chief Michell.
We'll now go to Mr. Gladstone, who's in the room with us, for four minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Mr. Gladstone. Thank you for sharing a real-life story. It was very compelling.
Now we will hear from the Squamish Nation.
Sarah Silva, you have four minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Ms. Silva, could you wrap up your opening comments?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to expand on your points in the question period.
Now, to finish, we have Ms. Whitzman for four minutes, please.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Whitzman. I'm sure you can expand during the question round on any point you did not make.
Before we begin, because we have six witnesses, please identify the witness you're directing the question to. It will save you time for your round.
We'll begin with Mr. Dalton for six minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Okay.
Ms. Martinez Ferrada, you have the floor for six minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Martinez Ferrada.
Ms. Chabot, you have the floor for six minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Mr. Gladstone and Madame Chabot.
Ms. Zarrillo, you have six minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Zarrillo.
Now we go to Mr. Liepert for five minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Madam Silva.
Now we go to Mr. Van Bynen for five minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Mr. Van Bynen. We're well over time.
Ms. Chabot, you have the floor for two and a half minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Chabot.
Ms. Zarrillo, you have two and a half minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
You have gone well over. We may get you to wrap up, Ms. Zarrillo.
We have Mr. Muys for five minutes, please.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Chief Michell, before you respond, I need to get unanimous consent for the committee to continue.
There has been a 30-minute bell called, and if the committee agrees, we would adjourn at 10 to one. That would give members enough time to go to the House, and then we could get through the rounds of questions we have.
Do we have—
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
It's the wish of the committee. Does the committee wish to adjourn at quarter to one?
Some hon. members: Agreed.
The Chair: We'll continue until 12:45.
Chief Michell, continue.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Chief Michell.
Thank you, Ms. Goodridge.
We'll end with Mr. Collins for five minutes. That will respect the timeline the committee adopted.
Mr. Collins, you have the last five minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Mr. Gladstone.
Chief Michell, as a rural member of Parliament, I really appreciated your last comments about the uniqueness of.... We cannot overlook rural, small-town Canada in this particular study, and I appreciate my colleague raising that.
Thank you to the witnesses for appearing today.
Before we close, I have a reminder for committee members. The decision you took at the last meeting is to come prepared on Thursday with recommendations that will be forwarded to the minister on this very important study. If they could be done in both official languages, it will be easier to deal with them. If we do not get them dealt with on Thursday, we may miss getting them there. Thursday is an important meeting for your recommendations. You have a lot of information before you.
Again, thank you, witnesses, for taking the time to give such compelling testimony to this committee.
Thank you, committee members. The meeting is adjourned.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Mr. Chair, everybody in the room has agreed to use the app to vote and stay.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Chair.
Through you, my questions will all be to Mr. Mallet. Five minutes is short.
We've heard pretty extensive testimony given about the disconnect between DFO science and the fisher in terms of the input of the information coming from the fisher, whether it's commercial fishers or indigenous fishers. We heard evidence from the PEIFA last week about one area that I want to focus on. Is the modelling used by DFO not a transparent process? There's a question around the modelling being used. In fact, it was that same modelling that was pointed to as one of the reasons for the disconnect between the department and the cod fishery of Newfoundland that led to its collapse.
Could you comment on the modelling? How does DFO use the modelling of the science and the information they get? How could it be improved?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Could you expand on the FRCC? I didn't know that you commented on it.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
When did the FRCC cease to function?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
It was disbanded in 2010 or 2012? Was it a model that worked very well?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Since that period there has been no formal structure that was similar to the FRCC?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Again, Martin, I want to thank you for your recommendations, because this committee is interested in hearing them. We can dwell on the past, but I'm more interested in what has to be done and what changes have to be put in place to ensure that the knowledge of the fisher, whether it's on the east coast or west coast, is incorporated into the actual data that goes to the minister for key decisions. Could you give me your opinion on that? What would be the best structure?
Also, there was testimony given here where fisher groups had made recommendations over the years to improve conservation, especially on mackerel and herring, but it was ignored by the department. One was increasing the net mesh size to allow more to stay in the water, which would be simple conservation, but it was not accepted by the department. Is that correct?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Why was it discounted by the department?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
If there are any gaps or misses, you don't have a chance to opine on those?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Chair, we're not hearing the answer.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Chair.
I'm subbing in, but I have an interest in the subject.
Commissioner Ieraci, I would like to ask you for a comment on this. The aerospace industry in Singapore is more focused on repair and overhaul and heavy maintenance. At one time Hong Kong was a significant competitor. Given the state of affairs in Hong Kong, how has that impacted the industry in Singapore?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Given Singapore's competitive position, and in light of changes as they impact Hong Kong, where would you see the best opportunities for growing aerospace trade with Singapore?
I'm familiar with Singapore. I've travelled there on numerous occasions and have met with their aerospace industry. Pratt & Whitney is heavily involved with their industry. Given those changes that will ultimately occur in Hong Kong, where would you see those opportunities within Singapore for Canadian-based companies?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
How much time do I have left, Chair?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you.
How is Singapore's competitive position? Is it staying consistent in that particular market, or has it been changing?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
What's the single biggest factor driving the cost increases in Singapore? What's it attributed to? Is it labour or infrastructure?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Madam Chair, I have one final question for the ambassador to the Philippines who mentioned potatoes. Being a Prince Edward Island MP, we did have a few issues with it.
Have the issues between Canada and the Philippines been resolved as to the importation of Canadian potatoes, primarily from Prince Edward Island?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Is that my time?
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
I call the meeting to order.
Welcome to meeting number 30 of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities.
Today’s meeting is taking place in a hybrid format pursuant to the House order of November 25, 2021. Members are attending in person in the room, as well as virtually. I would ask that all members attending in person respect the pandemic protocols that are in place.
Additionally, to ensure an orderly meeting, I would like to make a few comments for the benefit of the witnesses and members.
Before speaking, please wait until I recognize you by name. For those participating by video conference, please click on the microphone icon to activate your mike—
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
That's what I was getting to.
When we have an issue with translation, please let me know.
Madame Chabot, I'm told it has been corrected.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Before the interruption, I was going to advise that you have the option to speak in the official language of your choice. If there's an issue with translation, please get my attention and we'll suspend while it's being corrected.
For those with us virtually, please use the “raise hand” icon on the bottom of your Surface to get my attention.
Pursuant to Standing Order 108(2) and the motion adopted by the committee on Thursday, February 3, 2022, the committee will resume its study of the housing accelerator fund.
I would like to welcome our witnesses to begin our discussion with five minutes of opening remarks, followed by questions.
We have Cathy Heron, president of Alberta Municipalities. We also have Jason Thorne, general manager of planning and economic development, and Edward John, director of housing services at the City of Hamilton. They will both be giving statements, because they were both to appear at two different times on two different issues, but they're both appearing today. From the Regroupement des offices d’habitation du Québec, we have Madame Demers, general director, and Coralie Le Roux, senior adviser.
We will start with the Alberta Municipalities for five minutes. Madam Heron, you have the floor.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Heron.
We will now move to Mr. Thorne for five minutes. Once we conclude with all the witnesses, we will open the floor to questions.
Mr. Thorne, you have the floor.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Mr. Thorne.
Next is Mr. John for five minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Mr. John.
Now we have Madame Demers for five minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
You have 10 seconds left.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Ms. Demers.
We will now move to our first round of questioning.
Madam Gladu, you have the floor for six minutes.
View Robert Morrissey Profile
Lib. (PE)
Thank you, Madam Gladu.
Results: 1 - 60 of 1427 | Page: 1 of 24

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
>
>|
Export As: XML CSV RSS

For more data options, please see Open Data