Original language of petition: English
Petition to the Government of Canada
- On June 18, 2023, a prominent member of the Canadian Sikh community, Hardeep Singh Nijjar, was shot dead outside Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, Surrey, BC;
- Nijjar was an upright, god fearing, law abiding and peaceful member of the Canadian Sikh community with no involvement in any criminal activity, he served his community with dedication and tirelessly as President of Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara and Chief Coordinator of Canadian Chapter of Global Khalistan Referendum;
- Nijjar's assassination has not only caused irreparable loss to the Sikh community but it has also raised serious concerns which warrant immediate and utmost attention of the Canadian Government at the highest level; and
- This matter needs to be investigated thoroughly in order to ensure the safety of all Canadians.
Government response tabled
Response by the Minister of Public Safety, Democratic Institutions and Intergovernmental Affairs
Signed by (Minister or Parliamentary Secretary): JENNIFER O’CONNELL, M.P.
The Prime Minister was unequivocal that any involvement of a foreign government in the killing of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil is an unacceptable violation of Canadian sovereignty.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is committed to safeguarding Canada and Canadians from foreign interference, including from state-backed and state-directed threat and criminal actors targeting Canadians.
The RCMP has an active and ongoing investigation into the homicide of Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Surrey, BC, therefore, no further comment on the investigation will be provided. This investigation remains a priority for the Integrated Homicide Investigative Team. They have and will continue to work closely with local, provincial and national police agencies and partners to advance this investigation.
The RCMP actively leverages all tools at its disposal to combat foreign interference. The RCMP has strong relationships with security and intelligence communities and law enforcement agencies domestically and around the world and, work closely with Five Eyes partners to respond to and maintain situational awareness of all threats to national security.
The RCMP wants to assure the Canadian Sikh community and all Canadians that this Government has taken measures to ensure that Canada is clear with respect to its expectations on the rule of law, and the protection of its citizens.
- Open for signature
- July 4, 2023, at 9:45 a.m. (EDT)
- Closed for signature
- August 3, 2023, at 9:45 a.m. (EDT)
- Presented to the House of Commons
September 19, 2023 (Petition No. 441-01615)
- Government response tabled
- November 2, 2023
Only validated signatures are counted towards the total number of signatures.
|Province / Territory||Signatures|
|Prince Edward Island||2|