Original language of petition: English
Petition to the Government of Canada
- On April 29, 2022, the Liberal government introduced an order to introduce further restrictions with a 'shadow registry' on licensed firearms owners in Canada;
- The previous gun registry cost tax payers over 1 billion dollars;
- The Auditor General's report found that the program did not collect data to analyze the effectiveness of the gun registry in meeting its stated goal of improving public safety. The performance report focuses on activities such as issuing licences and registering firearms. The Centre does not show how these activities help minimize risks to public safety with evidence-based outcomes such as reduced deaths, injuries and threats from firearms;
- Providing personal information to private sellers can result in identity theft and fraud;
- This will unfairly cost businesses countless dollars in wages and time to process; and
- This unfairly targets Canadian firearms owners who are already among the most vetted in Canadian society, Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) and Restricted PAL (RPAL) holders are subject to daily screening and are statistically proven to be less likely to commit crimes than non-PAL and non-RPAL holders.
- Open for signature
- May 12, 2022, at 11:51 a.m. (EDT)
- Closed for signature
- August 10, 2022, at 11:51 a.m. (EDT)
Only validated signatures are counted towards the total number of signatures.
|Province / Territory||Signatures|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||168|
|Prince Edward Island||35|