Original language of petition: English
Petition to the Government of Canada
- Children face negative impacts when exposed to domestic abuse jeopardizing their emotional health, mental health, and physical safety;
- Children who have grown up witnessing domestic violence are more likely to become involved in domestic abuse in their adult life;
- Canada’s family law and judicial system can be ill-equipped to deal with allegations of domestic abuse in custody and visitation decisions;
- The tragic murder of two sisters, Chloe Berry, six years old, and Aubrey Berry, four years old, was due in part to a court decision that allowed an alleged domestic abuser access to his children; and
- Studies by the Rise Women’s Legal Center have concluded that Canada’s current family law legislation makes it possible for domestic abusers to continue to have access to their children.
- Open for signature
- March 18, 2021, at 12:20 p.m. (EDT)
- Closed for signature
- July 16, 2021, at 12:20 p.m. (EDT)
Member of Parliament
Only validated signatures are counted towards the total number of signatures.
|Province / Territory||Signatures|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||2|
|Prince Edward Island||1|