Pursuant to Standing Order 108(2), your Committee has considered Bill C-71, An Act to amend certain Acts and Regulations in relation to firearms, and wishes to make the following recommendations to the Government:
- That as part of the regulatory process, the Government of Canada review the reference process for Possession and Acquisition Licenses to determine both who can be used for a reference, and also to ensure that references are actually checked;
- That the Minister of Public Safety work with his provincial and territorial counterparts to determine how health care professionals could advise provincial authorities, including the “duty to warn” about persons who have diagnosed conditions that are likely to put their own life and/or the lives of other people in danger;
- That the Minister of Public Safety Work with his provincial and territorial counterparts to ensure prompt and accurate data transfer of court records of new criminal charges or convictions to the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) and Canadian Firearms Information System;
- That, at the suggestion of the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians and other stakeholders, the Government of Canada examine the effectiveness and appropriateness of current individual firearms storage regulations as well as after-hours commercial storage regulations; and
- That any above undertakings of the Government be done in consultation with all relevant stakeholders.