HUMA Committee News Release
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities
Comité permanent des ressources humaines, du développement des compétences, du développement social et de la condition des personnes handicapées
For immediate release
2018 CENTENNIAL FLAME RESEARCH AWARD
Ottawa, April 19, 2018 -
The House of Commons Standing Committee on Human Resources, Skills and Social Development and the Status of Persons with Disabilities (the Committee) is inviting Canadians with disabilities to apply for the 2018 Centennial Flame Research Award.
The Committee grants the Centennial Flame Research Award each year to a Canadian with a disability to enable them to conduct research and prepare a report on the contributions of one or more persons with disabilities to the public life of Canada or the activities of Parliament. This award is presented in accordance with the Centennial Flame Research Award Act.
For the year 2018, the amount awarded will be $5,500. Funding for this award is collected from the Centennial Flame monument on Parliament Hill and from any monetary donations made to the Centennial Flame Research Award Fund.
For your application to be considered, the following criteria must be met:
- You must be a person with a disability.
- You must submit a letter of presentation, in which you:
- Describe who you are and identify your disability;
- Indicate your work experience and/or your community involvements;
- Explain why you deserve the award; and
- Elaborate further on your proposed subject and your research methods (for example, you could address the ethical considerations that you took into account when conducting research on human subjects).
- You must also submit a letter of support for your application from a person of your choice, other than the subject of the research.
- Finally, you must submit proof of Canadian citizenship.
Please note that all required documents must be sent to the Clerk of the Committee and must be postmarked on or before Saturday, June 30, 2018. Those interested in more information on this award may consult the Committee's website or contact the Clerk of the Committee.
- 30 -