HUMA Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
It was agreed, — That, in relation to Bill C-65, An Act to amend the Canada Labour Code (harassment and violence), the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act and the Budget Implementation Act, 2017, No. 1;
1. that the Committee extend the review by three meetings:
a. that one in camera meeting be dedicated to hearing from departmental officials on the technical aspects of the Bill;
b. that one meeting be dedicated to hearing from retired and former employees of the House of Commons to ascertain their perspective on the Bill’s implications on the House of Commons;
c. that one in camera meeting be dedicated to reviewing the testimony of witnesses and the information provided by the analysts on the Bill;
2. that, given the additional meetings, proposed amendments be submitted to the Clerk of the Committee no later than Monday, April 9, 2018, and distributed to Members in both official languages;
3. that, should the Committee not complete its clause-by-clause consideration of the Bill by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, April 23, 2018, all remaining amendments submitted to the Committee shall be deemed moved, the Chair shall put the question, forthwith and successively, without further debate on all remaining clauses and proposed amendments, as well as each and every question necessary to dispose of clause-by-clause consideration of the Bill, as well as all questions necessary to report the Bill to the House and to order the Chair to report the Bill to the House as soon as possible; and
4. that, notwithstanding the motion adopted by the Committee on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, the deadline to submit a brief of no more than 2,000 words be extended to Monday, April 2, 2018.
It was agreed, — That, in relation to Bill C-62, An Act to amend the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act and other Acts:
1. that the Committee conduct a review of the Bill and its effects;
2. that each party submit a prioritized list of witnesses, including their contact information, to the Clerk of the Committee no later than Friday, April 6, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.;
3. that the Committee hear from witnesses for the three following meetings:
a. that one meeting be dedicated to hearing from the President of the Treasury Board, preferably at or near the beginning of the study;
b. that one meeting be dedicated to hearing from federal public sector employers, unions and stakeholders who fall under the purview of this bill;
c. that one meeting be dedicated to hearing from federal employers who fall under the purview of this bill; and
4. That proposed amendments be submitted to the Clerk of the Committee no later than Friday, May 4, 2018, and distributed to Members in both official languages.
It was agreed, — That, in relation to the study of experiential learning and pathways to employment for Canadian youth, notwithstanding the motion adopted by the Committee on Tuesday, November 21, 2018, the deadline to submit a brief of no more than 2,000 words be extended to Friday, June 1, 2018.
It was agreed, — That the Clerk of the Committee make the necessary arrangements for a press conference to be held on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 after the presentation of the Committee’s report to the House on advancing inclusion and quality of life for seniors; and that the Committee be represented by the Chair and a representative from each party.
ORDERED, — That, in relation to the study of advancing inclusion and quality of life for Canadian seniors, the analysts and the Clerk, in consultation with the Chair, prepare a news release for publication on the Committee’s website and for distribution upon presentation of the report to the House.
It was agreed, — That the amount for the 2018 Centennial Flame Research Award be set at $5,500; that the deadline for submitting an application be set at Saturday, June 30, 2018; and that a press release to that effect be published on the Committee’s website.
At 3:49 p.m., the Committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.