HUMA Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Proceedings
It was agreed, — That, in relation to Bill C-65, An Act to amend the Canada Labour Code (harassment and violence), the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act and the Budget Implementation Act, 2017, No. 1;
1. That each party submit their prioritized witness lists to the Clerk of the Committee no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 9, 2018;
2. That the deadline to submit a brief of no more than 2,000 words be Monday, March 5, 2018;
3. That the deadline to request to appear before the Committee be Thursday, February 8, 2018;
4.That the Committee hear from witnesses for nine meetings, in accordance with the following tentative schedule;
a) That the Committee invite the Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour and departmental officials to appear for one meeting;
b) That the Committee hear from witnesses for two meetings on the subject of the work environment of, and resources available to, employees of the Parliament of Canada (including exempt staff and former parliamentary employees);
c) That the Committee hear from witnesses for two meetings on the subject of human resources practices and organizations dedicated to addressing sexual misconduct;
d) That the Committee hear from witnesses for one meeting with lived experience of workplace harassment or sexual violence. This meeting will be in camera and the Clerk is directed to take all necessary measures to ensure the confidentiality of witness testimony;
e) That the Committee hear from witnesses for one meeting from federal public sector employers, unions, and stakeholders who fall under the purview of this bill;
f) That the Committee hear witnesses for two meetings from federally-regulated private sector employers, unions, and stakeholders who fall under the purview of this bill;
5. That the Committee proceed with clause-by-clause consideration of the Bill on Monday, March 19, 2018 and Wednesday, March 21, 2018, provided that the Chair may limit debate on each clause to a maximum of five minutes per party, per clause;
6. That amendments be submitted to the Clerk of the Committee no later than noon on Monday, March 12, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. and distributed to Members in both official languages; and
7. That, should the Committee not complete its clause-by-clause consideration of the Bill by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, March 26, 2018, all remaining amendments submitted to the Committee shall be deemed moved, the Chair shall put the question, forthwith and successively, without further debate on all remaining clauses and proposed amendments, as well as each and every question necessary to dispose of clause-by-clause consideration of the Bill, as well as all questions necessary to report the Bill to the House and to order the Chair to report the Bill to the House as soon as possible.
The Committee resumed consideration of a draft report.
At 4:50 p.m., the sitting was suspended.
At 4:54 p.m., the sitting resumed.
At 5:34 p.m., the Committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.