ENVI Committee Meeting
Notices of Meeting include information about the subject matter to be examined by the committee and date, time and place of the meeting, as well as a list of any witnesses scheduled to appear. The Evidence is the edited and revised transcript of what is said before a committee. The Minutes of Proceedings are the official record of the business conducted by the committee at a sitting.
For an advanced search, use Publication Search tool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at email@example.com.
Minutes of Proceedings
Richard Botham, Les Linklater and David Boyd, by videoconference from Pender Island, British Columbia made statements and with Julie Gelfand and Miodrag Jovanovic answered questions.
On motion of William Amos, it was agreed, — That pursuant to the order passed by the House of Commons on March 22, 2016 which designated the Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development (the Committee) as the committee for the purposes of section 343(1) of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA, 1999), that pursuant to section 343(2) of CEPA, 1999, the Committee immediately undertake a comprehensive review of the provisions and operation of CEPA, 1999 and submit a report and recommendations within the authorized timeline and that all testimony, reports, recommendations, or any such document received pursuant to the study of CEPA, 1999 initiated by the Committee under Standing Order 108(2) be deemed to have been received as part of the statutory review.
On motion of Jim Eglinski, it was agreed, — That a proposed budget in the amount of $500, for the study of the Main Estimates 2016-17, be adopted.
On motion of Jim Eglinski, it was agreed, — That a proposed budget in the amount of $10,900.00 for the study of the Federal Sustainable Development Act, be adopted.
The Chair presented the Second Report from the Subcommittee on Agenda and Procedure, as amended, which read as follows:
Your Subcommittee met on Tuesday, April 12, 2016, to consider the business of the Committee and agreed to make the following recommendations:
1. The committee’s work plan be as follows:
• Federal Sustainable Development Act Study: drafting instructions for a report-April 21.
• Federal Protected Areas and Conservation Objectives Study: May 3, 5, 10 and 12 with drafting instructions for a report on the 17th.
• The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 Study: May 19 and, June 7,9 and 14.
• Consideration of a draft report on FSDA- May 31st.
• 2016 Spring Reports of the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development- June 2.
• Consideration of a draft report on Federal Protected Areas and Conservation Objectives: June 16. • Climate Change Study: June 21,23
• That there be flexibility in the work plan schedule should the committee need additional time to complete reports or hear from additional witnesses.
2. That the Chair, in consultation with the Analysts and Clerk select witnesses for the meetings based on the suggested witness lists; and that members indicate prioritized witnesses for these meetings to the Clerk by Friday, April 15th.
3. That the Committee accept the invitation to meet with the delegation from Indonesia at an informal meeting
The question was put on the motion and it was agreed to, by a show of hands: YEAS: 8; NAYS: 1.
At 1:20 p.m., the Committee adjourned to the call of the Chair.