ENVI Committee News Release
If you have any questions or comments regarding the accessibility of this publication, please contact us at email@example.com.
Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development
Comité permanent de l'environnement et du développement durable
For immediate release
STUDY ON URBAN CONSERVATION PRACTICES IN CANADA
Ottawa, October 03, 2012 -
The House of Commons Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development will undertake a study to examine urban conservation practices in Canada.
The study will be scoped to respond to the following questions:
1. What is urban conservation?
2. What could be the goals of connecting urban Canadians with conservation?
3. What are the best practices in Canada for the same?
4. What urban conservation initiatives are currently in use? What are the best practices and challenges for the same?
5. What are the economic, health, biodiversity and social benefits associated with urban conservation?
6. How do we define a protected space?
7. What role should the federal government play in urban conservation?
The study will include an update on the status of Rouge Park in the Greater Toronto Area and also a brief examination of the creek at Bear Creek Park in Surrey, British Columbia.
- 30 -