Strategically located, the main entrance to the old reading room is reached through the Hall of Honour. The small corridor leading to this entrance displays a groined vault ornamented with carved bosses and label stops representing ten outstanding parliamentary correspondents. This project, initiated by the Department of Public Works in 1949 and completed in 1950, was meant to echo the role of the room and honour journalists who had made their mark as founders or editors of Canadian newspapers. Most of these journalists became involved in politics.
Grattan O'Leary - appointed to the Senate in 1963, and one of the first journalists to comment on the rare combination of comfort and beauty to be found in the reading room after its completion in 1920 - probably never thought that he himself would later become a subject for sculptor Cléophas Soucy.