After fire destroyed the original Parliament Building on February 3, 1916, the federal Minister of Public Works appointed two prominent Canadian architects, John A. Pearson and Joseph-Omer Marchand, to recommend an approach for the buildings reconstruction. Although the two architects had neither met nor worked together prior to their meeting in Ottawa, their collaboration proved very fruitful.
The architects were instructed to design a new building that would maintain the general character and Gothic Revival style of the original Parliament while providing more office space for Members of Parliament. Marchand was largely responsible for the new building's Beaux-Arts plan. Pearson assumed the role of main architect and provided all architectural details and decoration. In Pearson's words: "the general development of the original scheme of interior finish of the Chambers, public areas and corridors was adopted after careful study as befitting the dignity of the seat of Canada's Parliament."
In his design for the Centre Block, Pearson created over 40 "special rooms and areas", each possessing a distinctive appearance, yet harmonizing beautifully. The Heritage Spaces section covers the House of Commons Chamber and Foyer, as well as important public and ceremonial spaces such as Confederation Hall and the Hall of Honour, which have all been designed in the Gothic Revival style.