Skip to main content Start of content

Order Paper—Notices of Motions for the Production of Papers

A Member may wish to obtain papers that are not required by law to be tabled. In such instances, the Member may place on the Notice Paper notice of a special type of motion requesting that the Government compile or produce certain papers or documents and table them in the House. After the 48-hour notice requirement, such notices of motions are transferred to the Order Paper under the rubric “Notices of Motions for the Production of Papers”.

An entry shows:

The rubric “Notices of Motions for the Production of Papers” is called only on Wednesday. It is considered as the final item of Routine Proceedings following the rubric “Questions on the Order Paper”.

If the motion is called and transferred for debate, it is moved to the Private Members’ Business section as a Notice of Motion (Papers) under “Items outside the Order of Precedence”. Any Notice of Motion for the Production of Papers that is not called remains on the Order Paper.

(See the Order Paper and Notice Paper on the House of Commons website.)

Top of page